POLS 4790H THE POLITICS OF INCOME INEQUALITY
. If you are looking for Voteview.com, PLEASE CLICK HERE
This site is an archived version of Voteview.com archived from University of Georgia on May 23, 2017
. This point-in-time capture includes all files publicly linked on Voteview.com at that time. We provide access to this content as a service to ensure that past users of Voteview.com have access to historical files. This content will remain online until at least January 1st, 2018
. UCLA provides no warranty or guarantee of access to these files.
Fall Semester AY2014-2015
Department of Political Science
University of Georgia
Athens, GA, 30602-1615
Classroom: Baldwin 305
Time: 3:35 - 4:25PM Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Instructor: Keith T. Poole
Room 304D Baldwin Hall
WebSite: Voteview Home Page
Office Hours: Thursday 3:00 - 5:00PM
The following texts will be
used in this course:
- Nolan M. McCarty, Keith T. Poole, and Howard Rosenthal. 2006.Polarized America: The Dance of Ideology and
- Joseph E. Stiglitz. 2013. The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our
Future (2nd Edition)
- Timothy Noah. 2012. The Great Divergence
- Martin Gilens. 2012. Affluence and Influence: Economic Inequality and Political Power in America
Grades will be determined by
three examinations -- two mid-semester exams and a final exam. The
exams will consist of short answer essay questions. The midterms will
be worth ¼ each and the final 1/2 of the course grade.
The first exam is scheduled for Friday, 26 September 2014, 3:35 - 4:25PM.
The second exam is scheduled for Friday, 7 November 2014, 3:35 - 4:25PM.
The final is scheduled for Wednesday, 17 December 2014, 3:30 - 5:30PM.
- The Basics of Income Inequality in the US since the end of World War II
- Polarized America, Chapter 3
- The Price of Inequality, pages ix - lxiv
- The Great Divergence, Introduction and Chapters 1, 2 and 3
- "Polanyi's Paradox and the Shape of Employment Growth." David H. Autor, MIT.
- "The Rise and Consequences of Inequality in the United
States." Alan Kruger's Remarks at the Center for American Progress,
- Federal Reserve Bulletin: "Changes in U.S. Family Finances from 2010 to 2013: Evidence from the Survey of
- Rutgers: John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development: "Unfulfilled Expectations:
Recent College Graduates Struggle in a Troubled Economy."
- Institute for Women's Policy Research: "The Gender Wage Gap by Occupation 2013 and
by Race and Ethnicity."
- "The American High School Graduation Rate: Trends and Levels." James J. Heckman and
Paul A. LaFontaine, Discussion Paper 3216, December 2007, Institute for the Study of Labor, Bonn, Germany
- "Skill Gaps, Skill Shortages and Skill Mismatches: Evidence for the U.S.", Peter Cappelli, NBER WP20382,
- "Trends in Educational Assortative Marriage From 1940 to 2003." Christine R. Schwartz and Robert D.
Mare, California Center for Population Research, UCLA
- "Marry Your Like: Assortative Mating and Income Inequality." Greenwood, guner, Kocharkov, Santos,
NBER WP19829, January, 2014
- "Consumer Bankruptcy Filings: Trends and Indicators." Charles J. Tabb, Illinois Law and Economics
WP Series No. LE06-023, University of Illinois College of Law.
- "A Grand Gender Convergence: Its Last Chapter." American Economic Review 2014,
104(4):1091-1119, by Claudia Goldin.
First Exam Study Questions
- The Financial Crisis of 2007-08 and the Great Recession
Second Exam Study Questions
- The Price of Inequality, Chapters 1, 2, 3, and 4
- Is Immigration to Blame?
- Polarized America, Chapter 4
- The Great Divergence, Chapter 4
- Education, Job Skills, and Globalization
- Money, Organized Interests, and American Politics
- Polarized America, Chapter 5
- The Price of Inequality, Chapters 5, 6, and 7
- The Great Divergence, Chapters 7 and 8
- Citizen Affluence and Public Policy
Final Exam Study Questions
- The Public Policy Consequences of Polarization and Inequality
NOMINATE Data, Roll Call Data, and Software
Course Web Pages: University of Georgia (2010 - )
Course Web Pages: UC San Diego (2004 - 2010)
University of San Diego Law School (2005)
Course Web Pages: University of Houston (2000 - 2005)
Course Web Pages: Carnegie-Mellon University (1997 - 2000)
Analyzing Spatial Models of Choice and Judgment with R
Spatial Models of Parliamentary Voting
Recent Working Papers
Analyses of Recent Politics
About This Website
K7MOA Log Books: 1960 - 2017
Bio of Keith T. Poole